"Irene rescuing St Sebastian",
Giovanni Antonio Pellegrini,
In the "Rennweg Rooms" of the Würzburg Residenz the State Gallery, which was re-opened in December 1974, presents a series of Venetian paintings from the 17th and 18th centuries, as well as a number of other pictures that are directly related to Venetian painting of this epoch. The overall aim of the gallery is to supplement and place additional emphasis on the substantial group of works of this school already in Würzburg – in particular the famous paintings of Giovanni Battista Tiepolo in the Residenz.
There is nothing left in the Northern Oval Gallery Hall to indicate that the 21.5 x 15 m rotunda built in 1770 under Prince-Bishop Adam Friedrich von Seinsheim was originally an opera theatre, the "pretty little theatre of Würzburg", as it was described by his brother. The theatre furnishing was however taken out again in 1790 for lack of use. Grand Duke Ferdinand of Tuscany (Grand Duke of Würzburg 1806-1814) had a merry-go-round installed here for his children, which is today in the Marstallmuseum in Nymphenburg Palace in Munich. The room has been used as a gallery hall since 1931/32.
"Rinaldo under the spell of Armida" (detail), G. B. Tiepolo, Würzburg 1753
| top |